| Grand Canyon, AZ |
Started off from Kingman on Route 66. Saw a tonne of bikes on the road today - mostly Harley's, or cruisers. Wasn't much of an interesting ride really. Went through a few towns that are set up for tourists with kitschy attractions - well, I thought so anyway, and didn't bother stopping.
Wish I had've taken the time to take a photo of the sky - the clouds were amazing. Hundreds of individual 'cotton bud' clouds.
Along the way, I came across a couple of series of signs. In each series were 6 signs, each of which were spaced about 500m, or so.from each other. They'd combine to make up a slogan on 5 of them, ending with a "Burma Shave" logo at the end. An example was. "Don't Lose", "Your Head", "To Gain a Minute", "You Need Your Head", "Your Brains Are In It", "Burma Shave". I reckon I saw about 4 or 5 of them. Kept me entertained for a while. I've since discovered that Burma Shave is an old company from the 40's or 50's that's been re-invigorated using the old slogans.
![]() |
| Burma Shave, Route 66 |
Somewhere along the way I realised that I had moved from Pacific Standard time into Mountain time. I think it must've been yesterday when I entered Arizona, but I only worked it out when I was checking into my hotel today. So I've gained an hour - I think?
There's a shuttle bus that runs from Tusayan into the Grand Canyon village, so I jumped on to it to see what I could see. They have a pretty good series of different shuttle buses that run different routes every 10-15 mins along the southern rim of the canyon. According to a film I watched at the visitor centre, they get around 5 million visitors a year into the canyon. From what I could see, they do it pretty well too.
Now, I've seen a stack of photo's and videos of the Grand Canyon, but it's one of those things you really have to see in order to gain any kind of appreciation for the sheer scale of the place - it's bloody huge. Not only does this country have awesome mountains, they have bloody big holes as well. My photographic skills don't do it any justice at all.
| Grand Canyon, AZ |
Miles today - 184
Total miles - 2273

No comments:
Post a Comment