Monday, June 29, 2015
What a dam nice view.. or should that be a nice dam view??
10th June. Las Vegas, NV to Kingman, AZ
Today was a quick day, just 117 miles in quite warm weather, mainly on the interstate. I paid a quick visit to the strip again from some brekky, and another wander around. The place looks very different early in the morning, very subdued. I headed off around lunch, which meant gearing up in some warm weather - and it only got warmer in stop-start traffic as I tried to exit Vegas. I think they were heading for 100 degF.
On the way to Kingman, I see the signs for Hoover Dam and think I'd better have a dam look. It wasn't much fun, as the traffic is bumper to bumper off the highway. There's a security inspection prior to riding into the dam area, which basically involved just stopping in front of a 'guard' and then being waved through. About the only vehicles being stopped were RVs. I guess they thought that you can't pack enough explosives on a bike, or in a car, to do any damage to the dam? There were about 4 or 5 police vehicles at different points throughout the dam area, so I guess they do take security kinda seriously.
I didn't get a dam tour (and didn't ask the dam guide any dam questions - apologies to Vegas Vacation) as there were too many dam people for my liking, and also because I was bloody hot and uncomfortable. There's one problem with touring on a motorcycle, well maybe more than one, but stopping while dressed in full gear when it's 90-100 is just no fun. None. Zero. And I don't think I was going to enjoy wandering around on a tour in my riding gear. I rode up to a vantage point and had a look around, but pretty much rode out straight away - I didn't even bother with any photos. I was pretty happy to be in the wind again, despite it still being quite warm.
Even though I've seen it before, I still can't get used to seeing motorcycle riders without helmets. I guess I just don't understand the desire not to wear one - I feel naked on a bike without my gloves, let alone without a helmet. Some of them do make a concession to head gear and are at least wearing a bandana! Of course, a lot of them complement this with more safety gear such as t-shirt, shorts, and thongs.
As I enter Kingman I see a few signs that point out that I'm now on the original Route 66, which I'll be on for a little while tomorrow.
Miles today - 117
Total miles - 2206
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment